Pastel on Velour or Suede Paper with Rae Andrews
Date Saturday March 26th 9.30-4pm
Cost: $65 Workshop duration will be 6.5 hours including lunch break.
**** If you pay cash, $50
Where: Make checks out to
Rae Gillian. 3901 Culebra Circle
Austin, Texas 78734
512 266 0833
In the morning demo Rae will demonstrate her technique for drawing the figure on velour paper. Midday (after a lunch break) she will demonstrate the abstract underlay technique.
Materials to bring.
1) Velour paper (you can get this at Asel's.)
Suede board which is matt board, you can get at some framers, they often have off cuts. Rae will have a few of these for sale at $7 each (20 x 16")
*** Rae suggests you try both surfaces at least once, they are slightly different and both give amazing results.
2) Pastels, bring what you have, hard and soft and some in between medium pastels. (Rae uses Schmincke, Rembrandt, Art Spectrum, Sennelier and Prismacolor)
This surface may not 'like' some pastels, the softer ones work well however, one cannot use only soft pastels, there must be a few harder ones in the first layers, such as Prismacolor pastels, which are quite hard and rembrandt (mid range hardness)
3) White/black Charcoal pencil (General brand makes these) or pastel pencil.
** If you have pastel pencils, bring them also, although these are not absolutely necessary.
4) Drawing board and clips, a piece of foamcore will do for this.
5) Easel (Table or standard)
6) Soft eraser ( Rae uses a pen eraser (also form Asel's)
7) Large beach towel or drop cloth
8) Pencil sharpener for pastel pencils if you are using them, or a box cutter tool.
9) Rag and wetwipes
10) Tracing paper
11) Photo reference of landscape,animal, figures, florals, still life, virtually all subject matter will work.
I think that is all folks, please come along, this will be a great day.
Space is limited, and it will be first in first served.